THE MAHLER COMPETITION IN WORDS AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE COMPETITION
THE MAHLER COMPETITION strives to be an objective event and thus requires from all participants AND jury members to avoid conflicts of interests and, if a possible conflict arise, to inform the administration of THE MAHLER COMPETITION immediately.
TIMES AND NAMES, DETAILS
- The 7th edition of the "Mahler Competition" (THE MAHLER COMPETITION) will take place at Konzerthalle, Bamberg from 7th to 15th July 2023 and is organized by Stiftung Bamberger Symphoniker – Bayerische Staatsphilharmonie, Mußstraße 1, 96047 Bamberg. The official language of THE MAHLER COMPETITION is English. Basic understanding of the English language is required. You can reach the competition at any time by e-mail to email@example.com.
- THE MAHLER COMPETITION is open to professional conductors of all nationalities who are not older than 35 years of age at November 30th, 2022.
- Applications to be submitted online through our website www.themahlercompetition.com will be open until November 30th, 2022.
- Applicants must accept the terms and conditions and the rules of the competition.
- For online application, applicants must complete their application form at least with the following information:
a. Personal data: enter your personal data and e-mail
b. Conflict of interest: state if and, if any, enter the name(s) of the jury member(s) you have been in touch with and on what occasion
c. Required documents: under “Documents” please upload the following:
- Videos: please upload your application video(s) to YouTube and insert the respective link under “Videos”. For Selection we require three videos:
Three performance videos demonstrating performances of contrasting repertoire with an orchestra or large ensemble. One video must be recorded after January 1st, 2022. Each video should apply to the following criteria:
a. Recording of a rehearsal or concert.
b. 3 to 15 minutes in length. Videos may be shortened but should not be edited in any other way.
c. Showing you from the front (perspective from the orchestra).
d. Audio quality should be of acceptable quality.
e. Date (month and year) of recording must be mentioned.
- The selection jury shall decide on the admission of participants to the final rounds in Bamberg. If necessary additional information may be requested. The selection jury may also consider other videos that are publicly available. materials not provided by the applicant may only be considered at the selection jury’s discretion. We will inform applicants on the selection jury’s decision by the beginning of February and invite the selected candidates to the competition. To avoid a conflict of interest we will request jury members after the selection has been made to specify if there is a contact with a selected candidate.
- We reserve the right to dismiss a candidate if such possible conflict of interest has not been described by the applicant in his/her application.
- The 7th MAHLER COMPETITION’s repertoire is:
- Gustav Mahler, Symphony No. 7 in E minor
- Joseph Haydn, Symphony No. 92 in G major “Oxford”
- Alban Berg, Seven Early Songs
- Igor Stravinsky, Violin Concerto in D
- Bernd Richard Deutsch, New work for orchestra (world premiere, commissioned by the Bamberg Symphony.)
- All rounds of THE MAHLER COMPETITION will be held at Konzerthalle Bamberg, Keilberth-Saal. The playing schedule is as follows:
- First Round – with Bamberger Symphoniker, full size
- Main Round – with Bamberger Symphoniker, full size
- Semi Final – with Bamberger Symphoniker, full size
- Final – with Bamberger Symphoniker, full size
- Every round consists of a rehearsal, held in public and (probably) streamed on the internet. The round’s time will be fixed in accordance with number of nominees in the respective round. Participants are expected to self-responsibly finish within the given timeframe and need to be available for the whole period of the competition and are obliged to perform in every round. The sequence of performance for the first round will be decided by one drawing of lots which also determines the repertoire that is to be performed, the sequence and the repertoire of the following rounds will be determined by the jury. Deviation from the determined order is not permitted.
- The jury may award the following prizes: first prize: 30.000 EUR, second prize: 20.000 EUR, third prize: 10.000 EUR.
- In each round, each candidate will be openly discussed in the jury and then the jury will vote on whether the candidate advances to the next round or not. The approximate number of candidates to be forwarded will decline from round to round: Starting with 14-16 candidates during the first round, there shall be 6-9 to put forward into the main round, then 4-6 into the semifinals and 2-3 into the finals. Notwithstanding this, the jury reserves the right to forward more (or less) candidates to the next round, depending on the result of the vote or votes. Lastly, in the final round, a vote is taken on which prizes will be awarded and to which candidates. Here, too, the freedom of the jury not to award prizes or to award them ex aequo shall not be constrained.
COMPETITION RULES, TERMS, AND CONDITIONS
The following conditions apply for admission to THE MAHLER COMPETITION (or the COMPETITION):
- Participants may not be more than 35 years old on November 30th, 2022. Persons related to any jury member either by direct line or as an in-law to the third degree are excluded from taking part in the COMPETITION.
- By November 30th, 2022, 24:00 CET (date of receipt), the fully and truthfully completed online application form must be submitted, subject to the conditions of the competition, and the recordings of meaningful conducting of different works in an approved video format in the required audio format - and image quality have been uploaded to YouTube and the link must have been communicated in the form. Late or incomplete applications may be disregarded. The information provided remains with THE MAHLER COMPETITION and may be permanently stored there for documentation purposes.
- All communication between THE MAHLER COMPETITION and the applicants/participants will be directly, without interference of any third parties or artist managements. Applicants undertake to be regularly available for clarification of queries at the telephone number and email address given in the form during the selection phase. The selection jury reserves the right to check the existence of the selection criteria and the information provided by the applicant by submitting scans / photos of official documents. The applicant agrees to send such evidence on request at short notice.
- The uploaded videos must be kept on YouTube until February 15th, 2023. They can be made available to the COMPETITION both publicly and privately. THE MAHLER COMPETITION is entitled to download the YouTube videos for easier selection of candidates, and to have the video available offline.THE MAHLER COMPETITION will delete offline content on its own systems after the conclusion of the selection jury meeting.
- The selection of the applicants who are invited to the COMPETITION in Bamberg will be decided by the selection jury at its own discretion. The decisions of the selection jury are unimpeachable. The competition management is also entitled to refuse an application without stating reasons.
- The arrival and departure of the participants will be organized by the COMPETITION. The cost of the participants for the arrival and departure to Bamberg will be covered up to € 1,000 from the COMPETITION resp. to be refunded against proof, as far as these had previously been agreed with the competition management. Accompanying individuals including family members must make their own travel and or accommodation arrangements. Obtaining appropriate travel documents, visa and insurance is the sole responsibility of each competitor/accompanying individual.
- THE MAHLER COMPETITION provides the participants with overnight accommodation.
- Participants receive a per-diem during their participation in the COMPETITION in Bamberg.
- Participants undertake to participate in all rehearsals and concerts of the COMPETITION to which they are admitted whether public or non-public.
- The set repertoire is compulsory for every participant; the jury will determine the final selection of pieces to be performed by each participant for each round separately. For the first round the selection will not be made by each participant but a list will be set up what pieces are to be conducted in each timeframe of the first round. The sequence of appearance will be drawn on the eve of the COMPETITION during a first get-together at Konzerthalle Bamberg.
- Participants must be free of professional obligations during the entire COMPETITION period and are required to cooperate with all media activities that THE MAHLER COMPETITION provides, including interviews, photo-shoots, and additional performances.
- THE MAHLER COMPETITION is to be notified during the application if the applicant has been taught on a regular basis by any of the jury members or if an applicant has an agreement with an agency related to a jury member. Any conflict of interest not advised may induce consequences up to the exclusion of the persons related to the conflict of interest. Though, it is understood that it is likely that members of the jury may be acquainted with some participants in the COMPETITION because of past associations (for example previous competitions, music festivals, masterclasses, enrolment at academic institutions or agencies).
Participants shall not communicate with jury members for as long as they take part in THE MAHLER COMPETITION, nor shall any other person communicate with the jury members on behalf of any participant. Violation of this rule may result in disqualification from the COMPETITION.
- The decisions of the jury, or the administration of the THE MAHLER COMPETITION and Stiftung Bamberger Symphoniker – Bayerische Staatsphilharmonie are incontestable, need not to be substantiated, and no correspondence will be entered into regarding its decisions. The jury reserves the right not to award prizes or to share them or to award additional special prizes. Every jury member is always required to attend all sessions of a single round, but the competition management assumes no guarantee that all rounds will be held in front of the entire jury. In addition, the jury reserves the right to cancel works in the individual competition rounds or only to listen to excerpts.
- The COMPETITION is partly public. Only the competition management decides on the admission of listeners or on streaming of the competition on the internet.
- THE MAHLER COMPETITION has the right to take photographs of the competition as well as to record the competition in whole or in part for radio, television, and digital media and to have it broadcast (live). The participants grant the COMPETITION the exclusive and complete right of use of these recordings without separate remuneration.
- THE MAHLER COMPETITION accepts no liability of any kind whatsoever for any personal illness or injury sustained by the participant, nor for loss or damage to a competitor’s belongings during transit or while at the COMPETITION. Medical costs, of whatever nature, will not be reimbursed by THE MAHLER COMPETITION.
- Taxes shall be deducted from prizes in accordance with German tax law in effect at the time of the COMPETITION. The prize winners shall be obliged to fulfil the appearances attached to their prizes. Should a prize winner remain in breach of this, he/she can lose his/her claim to prizes, awards and appearances; on such matters, THE MAHLER COMPETITION shall decide.
- The winners undertake to state for 10 years at each performance and engagement that they are winners of THE MAHLER COMPETITION.
- By registering the applicants state and confirm their agreement
a. with all articles in these terms and conditions;
b. with all ensuing engagements as part of any prize;
c. that all concert and recording engagements obtained by THE MAHLER COMPETITION or its designates as part of the prizes will not be subject to any fee or commission payable to the prize-winner’s current or future artist management;
d. that THE MAHLER COMPETITION is authorized to record, videotape, film, broadcast, and/or photograph any COMPETITION concerts or events for any purpose, without payment of any fee. All rights, including copyright in such media shall vest in and be solely owned by Stiftung Bamberger Symphoniker – Bayerische Staatsphilharmonie in perpetuity.
e. that THE MAHLER COMPETITION is authorized to collect, store and use their contact details for purposes connected to the COMPETITION and future activities of Bamberger Symphoniker – Bayerische Staatsphilharmonie. No commercial third party will receive these contact details.
- Legal recourse is excluded.
Stiftung Bamberger Symphoniker – Bayerische Staatsphilharmonie
The Mahler Competition